Re: [SLE] Was: Let me ask a different way Now modprobe
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:54:05 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2005-02-22 at 10:02 -0500, Harry Giles wrote:

> > > Of course not, that file is not used for kernels of the 2.6 series. You
> > > have to use /etc/modprobe.conf.local for your stuff.
>
> Then what is the purpose of /etc/modules/conf?

There is no such file/directory. If you refer to /etc/modules.conf, it is
ignored, as I already said - well, it is used by the command modprobe.old,
which is called automatically by modprobe when it detects a kernel older
than 2.5:

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

This version of modprobe is for kernels 2.5.48 and above. If it
detects a kernel with support for old-style modules (for which much
of the work was done in userspace), it will attempt to run
modprobe.old in its place, so it is completely transparent to the
user.

You have to use instead the '/etc/modprobe.*' files, and the files inside
the directory '/etc/modprobe.d/'. The user should use
'/etc/modprobe.conf.local', and leave the rest to SuSE.

> Also, does the command:
> modprobe usbserial vendor=0xf3d product=0x0112
> still work/apply?

Why not?

man modprobe.

--