Re: [SLE] su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted, I blew it
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:55:42 -0600
Patrick B. O'Brien wrote:

I meant to change permissions on a directory called /installroot but I
change the permissions on the /etc directory to a user which is not
root.

The rest of your message suggests that you changed ownerships, not permissions.

I assume you've been able to try to su to that user without success. Have you tried making the corrections from the install CD rescue system?

If that doesn't work, install the drive in another system; the admin will definitely have the necessary permissions there.

If you recursively changed ownerships in /etc, note that some directories and files need to have non-root ownership. For example, /etc/cups and most (but not all) of its contents are owned by lp:lp.