Re: [SLE] Is there a fix to the broken python sre in 9.2 - or a newer version of python
  • From: Dumb Waiter <dumbwaiter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:05:47 +0200
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:53:04 -0500, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 07:03 pm, Dumb Waiter wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:38:44 -0500, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> > > Or just use YAST to delete python as it is now (broken) and then
> > > reinstall from the distro.
> >
> > If I delete and reinstall python from the Suse 9.2 dvd won't I just
> > get the broken version deleted and reinstalled? Shouldn't I point Yast
> > to some other installation source for repaired or newer version
> > packages?
> >

> I thought you said that YOU (update) left you with a broken Python.
>
> > I'd rather get the newer python version (2.4?) but I read somewhere
> > that just removing the old version and installing a newer one might
> > screw the system up somehow.
> >
> > So keeping the old version and installing the new one to home dir may
> > be the best option?
> >

> Sounds like you are a little over your head here....
>
> If you're just learning python, anything without bugs should do. Why do you
> need the latest and greatest? But if you do, go for it.

The reason I was/am interested in installing 2.4 was a thread in
comp.lang.python,
that said among other things "Interactive console in python 2.3 has a
bug that was
fixed in 2.4" plus it said there is a bug in Suse 9.2. version of
python. So apparently
just updating Suse version might not be enough, especially in terms of
certain UNICODE
things, if I am not wrong.

For me as a newbie it is even more inportant that the software is
working o.k. so will I
know that all the UNICODE oddities emerging will be my own and not due
to a bug in the
program.

But you're right; I am a bit over my head in here. And sorry about
extra postings
on the same subject. Gmail went catatonic somehow, and then started
mailing "first in last out". But, still, my bad.

/DWM

< Previous Next >