Re: [SLE] SSH server login delayed [SOLVED]
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:29:59 -0600
On Wednesday 23 February 2005 02:20 pm, Benjamin Hornberger wrote:
> At 09:08 AM 2/23/2005 -0500, Benjamin Hornberger wrote:
> >At 08:32 AM 2/23/2005 +0100, Josephine wrote:
> >>1. enter in your /etc/hosts file from the ssh server the ip and
> >> hostname of the machine you try to connect from (it is a dns lookup
> >> issue)
> >
> >That helped. Thanks so much to all of you for your efforts!
>
> Even though the problem is basically solved, I would like to ask another
> question: entering the gateway into the SSH server's /etc/hosts solved
> the problem. However, the SSH server also runs a name server (for a small
> private subnet), and entering the gateway into the name server database
> didn't help. Any hints on that? I thought if I run a name server, all I
> need in /etc/hosts is the localhost entry.

Do you have the gateway set to ask itself for DNS resolution?
In /etc/resolv.conf, you need a "nameserver 1.2.3.4" or "nameserver
127.0.0.1" entry (where 1.2.3.4 is the local machine's IP) to know what
name server to look at. You also need "hosts: files dns"
in /etc/nsswitch.conf for libc to look at dns servers specified in
resolv.conf.

--Danny, ccing Benjamin since there have been problems with other messages
getting to the list recently :(

< Previous Next >