Re: [SLE] USB drive access light?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:22:30 -0500
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:54:35 -0500, Patrick Shanahan
<ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Christopher Carlen <crcarle@xxxxxxxxxx> [02-24-05 16:43]:
> > As it is, it is difficult to know when it is safe to remove the device
> > after writing to it.
>
> all you need to do is issue from the command-line: mount
>
> and all mounted devices will be displayed. If the device *is*
> displayed, it is *not* safe to remove.
>
> > Are their any tips for tinkering with the light control on these drives?
>
> not to my knowledge, which is diminutive.
> --

Do you guys know what your talking about? I hope not!!!

I thought the usb flash drives were mounted SYNC, meaning that there
are not any kernel buffers maintained.

Therefore if all the files are closed it is safe to pull it out.
(Much better than Windows where you have to tell Windows to disable
the thumb drive.)

I don't tend to work directly on my flash drives, just copy things on and off.

I normally do things from the command-line, so as soon as any copy
commands finish, I just yank it out.

If I was concerned that something might be using the USB drive in the
background, I would use the 'fuser -m /media/usb-*' command.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer