Re: [SLE] USB drive access light?
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:31:29 -0500
* Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> [02-24-05 17:26]:
> Do you guys know what your talking about? I hope not!!!

of course.

> I thought the usb flash drives were mounted SYNC, meaning that there
> are not any kernel buffers maintained.

If a drive is *mounted* is is *unsafe* to remove.

An unmounted (umount) is not available for writing/reading and *is*
safe to remove.

Time for you to return to the Administrative Guide and the User Guide
provided with your distribution.

> Therefore if all the files are closed it is safe to pull it out.
> (Much better than Windows where you have to tell Windows to disable
> the thumb drive.)
>
> I don't tend to work directly on my flash drives, just copy things on and off.
>
> I normally do things from the command-line, so as soon as any copy
> commands finish, I just yank it out.

I wish you well, but think not.

> If I was concerned that something might be using the USB drive in the
> background, I would use the 'fuser -m /media/usb-*' command.

This will indicate that it is unsafe to remove but *not* that it is
safe to remove.
HOG # US1244711 Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery