Re: [SLE] X eats up to 60% of my CPU
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:02:58 -0600
On Thursday 24 February 2005 12:50 pm, Fred wrote:
> are suggesting that the default Suse desktop (KDE) is not the one they
> should use ? I think it is a very good, integrated and user friendly
> desktop env

The things that make KDE nice are often the things that make it slow. Then
again, on my new machine, I'm running KDE and firefox, and my wife's logged
in from an X terminal running gnome and another instance of firefox, Open
office is also running on her machine, as well as kmail, abiword, k3b, and
xmms on mine - not to mention all of the desktop/taskbar applets we're both
using. It all fits in the 512MB of system memory (-16MB for on-board
video), and the 5-minute load's 0.03 to .18 with both of us running stuff

Oh, yeah, the new machine's running Gentoo, with everything compiled using
-Os (and a few other more obscure flags). I don't know what SuSE does when
they build stuff, but on similar hardware, it's noticeably slower with just
one user. On a lightweight machine, SuSE may not be the best choice...

Anyway, back on-topic, KDE's nice - if you have the horsepower to run it.
Even with the candy turned off, though, it's a bit of a pig compared to
other environments / window managers - both in terms of CPU and memory
consumed. It's the default on SuSE because SuSE pays the salaries of lots
of the developers, and it therefore works well with SuSE. So, it's a good
starting point in the common case - a fast machine with a good amount of
RAM.

--Danny, who knows flamebait when he types it. ;)