Re: [SLE] Dosbox and or dosemu, where to start
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:58:45 -0500
On Friday 25 February 2005 08:49 am, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> I have a full working DOS partition besides Suse 9.0 and 9.1.
> Since 7.1 I always wanted to run some DOS programs under Linux but I never
> was able to understand the man and README pages and everything else I found
> as instruction.
> Could somebody give me in plain English how to begin. My DOS partition can
> be mounted under /drdos.

I use dosemu and have for the past 5 years. It works (at least for me) very
well. Some of the steps below are my conventions, which I think make things
easier. You can do different if you wish.

1) Install dosemu
2) As a normal user, start dosemu. I use 'xdosemu' from a KDE console
window. Starting it creates a '.dosemu' directory in your home dir.
3) Exit dosemu using 'exitemu'
4) Make a 'dos' directory such as '/home/dos' This will be a small set if
files to make running and navigating in dosemu a bit easier.
5) Edit the /opt/dosemu/share/dosemu/freedos/autoexec.bat to include the
following (at the bottom):

lredir l: linux\fs/home/dos
lredir e: linux\fs/drdos
path c:\bin;c:\gnu;c:\dosemu;l:
L:

The above defines dos disks e: and l: and leaves you in the L: directory,
where your navigation files are.

Note that your dos programs and files DO NOT need to be on a dos partition and
can ge in any normal linux filesystem, and located anywhere in your linux
environment. I do not have any dos partition. An example of an autoexec.bat
entry on my system for a normal linux directory.

lredir f: linux\fs/home/DOS-F

What's in the /home/dos directory?
I have made an exx.bat file which will issue 'exitemu'. (because I can never
remember how to exit)

I run a FoxPro application and I start it using:

@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=%PATH%;E:\fp2
cd E:\fp2\<appname>
E: