Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Joe Zien <jozien@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:06:27 -0500
Chris Carlen wrote:

contiemilio@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all
I just bought a notebook for my daughter (Dell Inspiron 510m).
Tested with Knoppix 3.7 (wonderful)
Tested with FreeSBIE 1.0 (see above). Then, yesterday in the afternoon, I tried to install SuSE 9.1: yast did not start in graphical mode or with incredible colours and characters if I changed the screen resolution on boot.
Since I am quite curious I tried SuSE 9.2 (same result), Mandrake 10.0 (same result), SuSE 8.2 (WORKS FINE!!)

Is there anyone thet can explain to me such a behaviour

Ciao
emilio

I have been using Linux for about 9 years, and Suse for about 5. IMHO is may actually be getting worse with each passing version. Too many features added with not enough rigorous testing. Mainly on the user side, KDE and the like.

I'd get simply fired for writing software like this, in embedded control. That is if nobody got killed by a rampaging 100HP motor. Otherwise it could be worse.

I'm considering another OS. But which one? Actually Win2k works rather well, for a user. But I find the UI very constraining. And it's a dead-end. I won't touch XP, don't trust it for a second. Then again, with wasting 50% of my time now regularly at root prompt fixing things because almost EVERY STEP that the user attempt runs into some quirky obstacle, maybe a more limited OS that at least works might be an acceptible compromise.

I'm really getting fed up. It's not just Linux's or Suse's or KDE's fault. The software industry is broken, thanks to a large degree to the anticompetitive atmosphere. And the stupidity of the marketplace that demands new features and accepts mediocre quality.

I've considered Mac. I wonder if it's any better?

The sad thing is, that after all these years, and 5 years at my company, at this point I would recommend against deploying Linux/Suse as a GP OS there. I used to evangelize about Linux. Now I'm a laughingstock, as everyone simply gets their work done on their Windows PCs while I figure out which of the 4 possible drivers (one I hand hacked from Windows NT, is the one that works best) for the HP Laserjet 5000 printer will allow me to duplex pages. Oh, but with that driver when I print labels with OpenOffice, I get big black blobs. Oh, have to use the other driver for that, the one found after wandering the internet. And so on, and so on, and so on, all day long. It's just one example of many.

There are some folks at work who have to use Linux for running strange scientific programs. Why is it that if this were so great, that they wouldn't then expand their use of those machines to do other aspects of their work? The answer is obvious, because they have to tinker and fuss and pee away hours of time just to get the thing set up enough to run their one program right. Then (another example of many) they stick in a flash drive to transfer the data to their other PC, and whammo! another several hours down the drain to figure out why there are a bunch of quirks that make it not work quite right until you tinker and fuss... Get the picture? The message is clear to all who have tried it but don't want a new hobby: this is not what they want to spend their time on. They want to get their work done, and it isn't helping them to achieve that end.

So sad. Maybe for very limited tasks this OS would be Ok. One where the programs to run and operations to be performed by the user were all checked out. But for a general purpose OS, this is a big waste of time. Of course, as a server it's wonderful. But I am growing convinced that 10 years from now the same people will be spouting about how Linux desktop is so great, and it works fine for me, and it will still have 1% market share. And they will never get it. Why 1% market share? Because people didn't choose it. Ironically, paying money for Windows seemed like a more beneficial transaction to them then using the free alternative.

Interestingly, I am finding that using OSS programs like Firefox, Mozilla, OO.org, etc. on Win2k is much more pleasant. They work rather well there. I just wish I could have multiple desktops, and a meaningful CLI, etc. There is no perfect system. And in an anticompetitive marketplace, I don't expect things to get better.

Good day!

Hi Chris,

I agree with you 100%.
I started with SuSE 6.2 and used most up to 9.2 and 7.1 was the best. Nothing but trouble with 9.1 and 9.2.
I would suggest you try libranet 2.8, a debian distribution, and a free download at libranet.com.
Debian has apt-get to update, better than rpm.
Also try knoppix 3.6 or 7, also debian. Knoppix runs linux without installing linux to your hard drive,
it runs off the cd-rom. also try mepis, another debian linux.
A good site to get linux cd's is :

http://www.linuxpickup.com

Don't give up on linux, maybe these suggestions will help.

jozien

< Previous Next >