Re: [SLE] adobe acrobat alternative
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:16:11 -0800
Mike,

On Friday 25 February 2005 13:58, Mike wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:07:54 -0500, Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Friday 25 February 2005 3:28 pm, Mike wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a KDE alternative to adobe acrobat PDF
> > > viewer? It looks so hanus running on my KDE desktop, and for
> > > some reason doesn't see my printer when I go to print PDF
> > > documents.
> >
> > xpdf, KWrite are two that read PDFs.
> > And I forgot, KPdf, and GNOME PDF Viewer.
>
> Thanks all for the prompt responses... I tried ghostview, but that
> didn't seem to do a great job (IIRC it displayed the first page, but
> couldn't get it to move to the next...) I'll give the rest a try
> tonight..

My experience has been is that the best "coverage" is obtained by the
Adobe reader, not too surprisingly. (By that I mean it properly handles
more PDF files than the other viewers.)

On the other hand, on one or two occasions when I tried to print a
document it went into a tailspin consuming ever more memory, pushing
everything else out of memory and bringing my system to its knees (*).
This has never happened with any of its native Linux counterparts. It
has lots of other problems, but it's still the viewer I use by default.

(*) The one weakness I've experienced more than any other on my SuSE
Linux system is its vulnerability to a rogue process consuming so much
memory that everything else gets swapped out and it becomes impossible
to even kill the errant process.

Randall Schulz