Re: [SLE] Samba setup
  • From: Mike Dewhirst <miked@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:30:19 +1100
David
At 05:15 pm 26/02/2005, david rankin wrote:
it is a piece of cake.

I'm finding it a piece of rock-cake. My brain is bruised.

My office has run on it since 2000. Just like anything else, you have to make friends with it, but it is relatively painless.

Maybe I need a chemical enhancer - a stiff single malt or three :(

After you set it up, it is bulletproof.

That will keep me going :)

See www.samba.org for docs and setup. No magic, just follow the steps........

OK - I can see the samba server from both my Win XP machines and I can see both Win XP machines from SuSE. BUT none of them let me login anywhere. They all put up a login prompt OK - but all of them deny access.

I did create a new user mdewhirst on every machine including the Novell server and all have the same password - different than root on SuSE.

I just restarted my SuSE box to see if that would help and now it won't let me put in a password. So I'm stumped.

I can tab the cursor into the password field for either root or mdewhirst but it won't accept any password characters.

Any ideas?

Apart from looking for a bottle .... yet

TIA

Mike

< Previous Next >