Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:25:22 -0500
On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 12:01, Danny Sauer wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 10:10 pm, Chris Carlen wrote:
<snip>
> Make sure you do more research than reading a Mac magazine article or
> listening to one mailing list post (including just me), though. For the
> money, though, you can get a lot more with a Linux solution. The trade-off
> is some time configuring the system and learning Linux. But you already
> know how to use Linux...

Keep in mind that most of the people "trying" linux, not just SuSE,
-don't- know how to use linux, they are curious/new.

<opinion>

How many posts do we get on this list from new users asking for help for
something that is obvious to the seasoned user but -not- obvious to the
newbie. And many times all they are told is to google for the answer.
Instead show them the google link as well to get them started. Keep in
mind that we were -all- newbies at one point in time. Think back to what
you had to go through when you first started out and try to make it
easier for the newbie. This will help more to converting MS users to
linux in the long run.

Until the developers/programmers start supplying GUI tools to configure
their apps linux will -not- become a standard desktop OS. There is
nothing more frustrating to a new user than -not- being able to
configure an application because they have to use a text editor to
change a configuration file located someplace in the file system, and
most og the time they will not know where the file is located. The use
of a GUI tool also helps the newbies because they are less likely to
introduce configuration/syntax errors which is the main point of
frustration for them.

I have been using unix since 1989 and still get frustrated sometimes due
to the lack of docs that come with a package. If a veteran cannot
decipher what a programmers -intention- was how to you expect a newbie
to.

</opinion>

--
Ken Schneider