Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Synthetic Cartoonz <synthetoonz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:32:44 -0500
On Saturday 26 February 2005 13:47, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Alex,
>
> On Saturday 26 February 2005 10:21, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 February 2005 09:25 am, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > <snipped>
> > The question is why to convert MS users to Linux?
> >
> > ... They don't give their ignorant damns
> > about what OS their appliance is running. ...
>
> Yeah, and when the Swiss-cheese-like security of their XP box causes
> them to lose their family photo album, their kids' homework, or worse,
> their credit card numbers and / or allows their PC to become part of
> some black-hat's unholy digital army of the night, they and / or we pay
> the price.

When I had Windows on my laptop I discovered reinstalling the same Windows or
upgrading Windows caused data gotchas -- all the ripped CD tracks in WMA
format could not be transferred. I had to rip it all over again. After
having experienced it twice I was highly motivated not to change Windows
again. Since moving to Linux I've ripped my CDs only once in Ogg format, and
I can listen to them on any computer I have.

Then there was the time Windows crashed the laptop and I lost a week of
serious coding that I never had the time to recreate.

Then there's the piles of old Microsoft Works documents that are unreadable by
everything -- including the current versions of Windows. Not being able to
view the files is the same as if Microsoft had corrupted or deleted the
files.

Then there's the mountain of third party accessory software I was always
buying or updating just to keep Windows functioning reasonably sanely --
Anti-Virus, Firewall, pop-up blockers, Windows registry fixers, etc.

I've bought every boxed version of SuSE since 8.0 and in the end I've spent
far less than when I was using Windows.

> Quality matters, whether you're a guru programmer or a casual Web
> surfer. If anything, it matters more for the latter.

> The appliance analogy itself bears this out. My cousin's family had to
> rebuild their whole kitchen because their Mr. Coffee started their
> house on fire. Fortunately, in that case, the manufacturer of that
> coffee maker had to pay because their product was faulty. The same
> should be true for Microsoft and all software publishers. They should
> be prohibited from disclaiming responsibility for the consequences when
> people use their products for the purposes for which that software is
> explicitly advertised.

But, but, but, doesn't the EULA absolve them of liabailty, indemnity,
litigation, reponsibility, arson, hailstones, and halitosis, etc? I wonder
if the Mr Coffee people know about the powers of the immutable EULA?

> Corporations want all the rights of personhood but none of the
> responsibilities that should go with it. And people blame the lawyers!
> Bah!!

< Previous Next >