Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:28:04 -0600
On Sunday 27 February 2005 12:10 pm, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 12:44, Danny Sauer wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 February 2005 12:40 pm, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > > On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 13:21, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> > >
> > > Short answer $ (cost). Not just for the OS but also for the apps.
> >
> > If people were concerned about cost, MS wouldn't be able to charge
> > several hundred dollars for a crummy OS that's no more user-friendly
> > than a typical out-of-the-box KDE-on-Linux install. Somehow, though,
> > people still buy it. Somehow, lots of computers are sold every day to
> > people who don't even know what an operating system is.
>
> Cost isn't a factor? Which planet do you live on? Tell me one business
> where cost isn't a factor in their purchase decisions. People buy it
> (MS) because they are forced to when they purchase their PC. They charge
> several hundred dollars because they currently can get away with it.
> Call up Dell and ask for their latest PC with linux preinstalled and see
> what response you get, that doesn't sound like a choice to me.

Ok, so cost is the driving force behind business purchases. Care to explain
why the least expensive OS isn't dominating the business desktop market?
Sure, cost is a factor in the business world, but it obviously isn't the
only one, or even the most important one. Same way with home users (which
is where ease-of-use actually comes in to play). A corporate desktop
should be set up by a competent admin, and there should be some training
for users of that desktop.

When I get a PC, I get a box with a hard drive, memory, processor,
motherboard, and case. Sometimes it's 2 boxes. Then I put it together.
There's no OS until I put on on it.

Regarding Dell, well, I think that this page might help you out:
http://www.dell.com/linux/

"Dell has been offering Linux on PowerEdge servers since 1999 and has a
dedicated Linux Development team that validates, qualifies and validates
Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Enterprise Linux operating systems on
Dell PowerEdge servers."

Dell will usually sell a bare system if you ask the right questions, too -
or at least they used to.

> This whole thread is getting way OT, time to end it.

And let you get the last word? Never! :)

--Danny, granting that the discussion can end now. :)

< Previous Next >