reliable hardware, was: Sorry SuSE: 9.1 is Waste of time and money!
  • From: Alex Angerhofer <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 06:50:57 -0400 (EDT)
> I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you - period. I said, I avoid
> VIA if at all possible, and no way will have SiS. It's my choice. I normally
> don't have hardware problems, so I must be doing something right.
>
> Fred

Fred: let me chime in here if I may. I am not interested in pissing any
hardware vendor, but what I am interested in is if you would share some of
your experience of what constitutes "solid hardware" that will work well.
I am planning to set up a new system (preferably with a 64 bit cpu)
sometime later this summer and would find it greatly beneficial to get
some input from you or anyone who regularly uses and builds large
quantities of systems. My home-built system PIII-Abit BX6v2 has held up
the test of time and various SuSE versions pretty well, but is getting
somewhat dated and I am looking at replacing it. I have had issues with
some Dells and SuSE 9.0 at work but these seem to have dissipated with
9.1. Nevertheless, I will have to dig for the most reliable hardware
pretty soon and really appreciate your input.

Best regards, Alex.