Re: [SLE] Sorry SuSE: 9.1 is Waste of time and money!
  • From: Frederic Soulier <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 11:02:09 +0100
On Sunday 30 May 2004 19:59, Sid Boyce wrote:
> Frederic Soulier wrote:

> >You think SuSE 9.1 should never have been released. I could add to
> >this that Mandrake 10.0 should never have been released and FC2
> >should never have been released.
> >My take is its all due to the kernel 2.6.x being very new.
> >No wonder Slackware is sticking to kernel 2.4.x for their next
> >release.
> >
> >In order to fix as many bugs in 2.6.x as possible the kernel must
> > be widely used and therefore packaged by the various distros so
> > it gets to the end user who becomes unwillingly(?) a tester ;)
>
> The 2.6 kernel is not all that new, except in the headlines. I've
> been using it since 2.6.0-pre on SuSE 9.0, with the odd problem of
> a few modules not automatically being loaded, but that was about
> all. SuSE 9.1 cleared that all up.
> There is the distinct impression that they released too soon, but
> the kernel has nothing to do with it.
> Running stably on 2.6.7-rc2 released by Linus last night.

I'm running happily 2.6.4-54.5-default but the driver for my USB cam
(cpia) doesn't work because of 2.6.x, it was fine in 2.4.x
Also I need firewire for a couple of HDs and my iPod and 3 distros
I've tried have 3 different behaviour...
Mandrake 10.0 - all ok
SuSE 9.1 - only 1 HD recognize (HDs on 1 cable as master & slave)
FC2 - firewire not even activated

I'm sure 2.6.x works fine for many but it's likely to have more cases
where people find something is not working or the driver is not
up-to-date compared to 2.4.x which is fair as 2.6.0 has been released
officially 6 months ago and 2.4.0 has been released 3 1/2 years ago!

I still strongly believe that Mandrake 10.0, SuSE 9.1 and FC2 are a
(necessary) huge test for 2.6.x as it gets widely deployed to the
end-user.
Do I disagree with that? Not really. Open source development relies a
lot on the end-user for feedback.

Frederic P. Soulier frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OpenPGP key available on http://www.keyserver.net
1024D/BA6700ED 49A6 8E8E 4230 8D41 1ADE B649 3203 1DD2 BA67 00ED