Re: [SLE] Playing DVDs with Kaffeinr/xine
  • From: "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 16:36:43 -0700
On Sunday 30 May 2004 04:24 pm, Robert Paulsen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to play DVDs with kaffeine. I have the following installed,
> but kaffeine still tells me it can't play DVDs:
>
> libdvdnav-0.1.9-63
> libdvdread-0.9.4-146
> libdvdcss-1.2.8-1
> xine-lib-0.99.rc3a-106.8
>
> What am I missing?
>
> --
> Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
> robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SuSE rpms are not compiled with support for playing dvd's, for legal & patent
reasons.

Uninstall xine, kaffine, etc.

Then download new suse rmps with dvd stuff enabled from packman at:

http://packman.links2linux.org/index.php4?action=cat&cat=1

Install & enjoy!

One note though; I find xine uses far less resources, and better playback,
then kaffine, even though kaffine is just a front-end to xine. YMMV.

Regards,

Mark