Re: [SLE] Migrating from Mandrake to Suse
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 16:35:24 +0100
On Sunday 30 May 2004 9:28 am, Martin Farmilo wrote:
> One thing to bear in mind is that Suse appears to start User IDs from 500
> whereas Mandrake starts from 501. So if you use the installation wizard to
> create the same users you have on Mandrake, bear that in mind otherwise
> they'll be assigned different IDs from the ones Mandrake uses. Obviously an
> issue if you intend sharing the /home area between Mandrake & Suse.

This behaviour can be changed, I think. Look at file:/etc/login.defs:

#
# Min/max values for automatic uid selection in useradd
#
# SYSTEM_UID_MIN to SYSTEM_UID_MAX inclusive is the range for
# UIDs for dynamically allocated administrative and system accounts.
# UID_MIN to UID_MAX inclusive is the range of UIDs of dynamically
# allocated user accounts.
#
SYSTEM_UID_MIN 100
SYSTEM_UID_MAX 499
UID_MIN 500
UID_MAX 60000

I have never tried it... but I remember from my days with Solaris years ago
that there was a file which set this sort of stuff, so I looked for an
equivalent in SUSE. Whether there is any knock on effects, or something else
gets missed, I don't know.

hth

Vince Littler

< Previous Next >