Re: [SLE] Sorry SuSE: 9.1 is Waste of time and money!
  • From: Hartmut Meyer <hartmut.meyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 16:35:14 +0200
Hi,

On Sunday 30 May 2004 14:27, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Sunday 30 May 2004 14.07, Jyry Kuukkanen wrote:
> > There are definitely way too many problems in 9.1 for me to try using it.
> > There is no way, I believe, all the faults in it can be fixed before 9.2
> > is out. So, until that, I stick with Mandrake that installs, speaks my
> > language and lets me write using funny but ¡important! characters for me.
> > Ääliö distro on tuo Susi üsiüks :-(
>
> I have no idea what that means, and I'm almost afraid to find out :) (I
> didn't know you guys used ü's), but ä and ö are pretty important to me too.
> I've installed 9.1 on multiple systems, upgrades from 8.2, upgrades from
> 9.0 and fresh installs. There was one problem in X where the installer put
> 'es' instead of 'se' in the keyboard layout, but the console has worked
> each time. 'åäö'-a-plenty here

It might be a pine problem (haven't tried recently, but in the not so far
past, pine wasn't capable to handle utf-8 encoding). Pine is the programm
that Jyry is using and where he reported problems.

He could of course revert to using iso-latin1 (ISO-8859-1) rather than utf-8
with SL 9.1.

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut