Re: [SLE] Installing from Secondary CD-ROM
  • From: Lucky Leavell <susemisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 19:38:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Mark A. Taff wrote:

> On Saturday 29 May 2004 11:50 am, Lucky Leavell wrote:
> > OS: SuSE 9.1
> >
> > Question: Once the install completes, assuming it is even useable, is
> > there some yay to make YaST install the missing stuff from the secondary
> > CD-ROM?
> >
> > Alternatively, it there any way I can boot from diskette and thence from
> > the secondary CD-ROM drive? (I tried booting from CD2 in the primary
> > (DVD/CD) drive but it failed trying to read the floppy drive for some
> > reason.)
> >
> Perform the install as normal, ignoring (for now) any missing packages. After
> the install in complete, start the install again, but chose "repair" as the
> install mode. Repair will test everything, including missing packages, and
> fix as required. I have had to use it many times before.

That did appear to work and even accessed the CDs on the secondary drive
but the root filesystem is still mounted read only which makes for a very
limited system.

> Part of the problem with the media not found/package not found on medium
> errors is due to faulty hardware and/or faulty burned cds/dvds.

I think the media is OK as I have used it before OK. I thinks it may be
the drives, hopefully just needing cleaning.

> You can boot from floppies, but it takes 2-6 floppies to do so, and I'm not
> sure it's worth the hassle. I did it once, and will bend over backwards to
> not have to do it again. :-)

Done that too. 9.0 typically requires 2-3 depending on how many drivers
are needed.

> Regards,

Thank you,
Lucky