Installing from Secondary CD-ROM
  • From: Lucky Leavell <susemisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:50:20 -0400 (EDT)
OS: SuSE 9.1

I am currently installing from a combo DVD-DOM/CD-ROM drive (/dev/hdb) as
that is the only one I can get to boot from CD. The secondary CD-ROM
(/dev/hdd) is recognized by the BIOS but for whatever reason will not boot
from either CD. (I switched the IDE cables when attempting to boot from
the CD-ROM, making it primary slave for a while to no avail.)

Problem: The DVD drive apparently needs cleaning and I do not have a drive
cleaning kit here. It has popped up the dialog stating it cannot find some
packages. Occasionally a retry works but I usually have to Ignore the
package to continue.

Question: Once the install completes, assuming it is even useable, is
there some yay to make YaST install the missing stuff from the secondary
CD-ROM?

Alternatively, it there any way I can boot from diskette and thence from
the secondary CD-ROM drive? (I tried booting from CD2 in the primary
(DVD/CD) drive but it failed trying to read the floppy drive for some
reason.)

(I'll fetch the drive cleaner tomorrow but, hopefully, will already be
done.)

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell