Re: [SLE] WP/OO envelopes
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 06:33:03 -0400
On Saturday 29 May 2004 06:07 am, Mike Roy wrote:
> Hello everyone:
> I'm experiencing some problems with both WordPerfect
> and OpenOffice in that I can't print envelopes (basic #10
> business envelope) under either program. As both programs
> use the same computer/printer, I thought it might be a
> common driver problem but as WP uses a different driver
> from OO, I don't think that's the problem.
> Under WP, when I use the envelope feature, WP goes
> through all the menus and (on screen) appears to be sending
> the job to the printer but nothing happens - no error messages
> or anything - it simply doesn't print.
> Under OO, the text does print but it is like there's a
> default in the background that treats the envelope like a
> full page and the text appears at the top of the page. I
> have checked the defaults under both 'generic printer' and
> 'kprinter' (I know, OO defaults to A4 paper size).
> I'm now thinking of creating a really simple envelope
> in a draw program that I can leave on the desktop and simply
> open it, enter the addressee, and print.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. I find it hard
> to believe that both WP and OO can't perform what is a
> basic word processing function.
> Thanks for the help.
> Cheers,
> Mike
>
> PS - sorry everyone, both programs print regular pages
> OK.
===========

Mike,

I realize this won't help, but I always managed to get WP8 to do
envelopes nicely, although I did have to play around with the printer
drivers for best results there. I have only gotten mediocre results
from OO, but have managed to get good envelope printouts there as well.
It always seems like you have to adjust the text quite a bit for a
normal envelope though.

The best luck I have had is using Scribus, the DTP program. Create the
envelope there, your text can be rotated and print it out. Don't even
have to tell it to print landscape!

Regards,
Lee
Registered Linux User #225206
On any other day, that might seem strange...