Re: [SLE] Home network setup
  • From: "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:44:26 -0700
On Friday 28 May 2004 02:19 pm, John Heffington wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> My network at home consists of the WinXP machines and my Linux machine.
> At one point, I was able to access the network; but now, I am not able
> to and even SAMBA doesn't detect a network. I have also noticed that
> during boot up, when the system is obtaining an IP address, the service
> gets backgrounded. Once I log into either KDE or GNOME, I have full
> access to the internet. Do you all think it's my machine or my
> network???
>
> Thanks,
> John

All 'backgrounding' means is that your box got tired of holding up the boot
process waiting for a response from your DHCP server. It is still looking
for one, it just isn't holding up the boot process any longer.

I would bet that if you booted to runlevel 3 (multi-user, no X) directly, your
network would probably work fine.

As far as your samba problems, it is impossible to help you without you
providing some info. I suggest you search the previous threads about Samba
to see if any of them answer your problems.

Regards,
Mark