Solution: Mounting Windows shares from SuSE 9.1 Pro
  • From: Mike Coan <mikecoan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:08:21 -0400
There have been a number of messages regarding difficulties in using Samba to
mount Windows shares. I am finally able to mount shares from the Windows
2003 server in our office, although I am using CIFS and not SMBFS. I will
explain my situation in case it is helpful to those trying to access Windows
shares.

I am running SuSE 9.1 Pro with all the YOU updates applied. Although i don't
think it is relevant, I have installed the Samba client 3.04 and libsmbclient
3.04 from the apt repository.

Our office has a Windows 2003 Small Business Server. I have been able to
access the server fine using vmware. I couldn't mount the shares using
Linux.

My linux machine is called maclinux.

Let's assume the following;

domain name is DOMAINNAME
username is LINUXUSER
share name is SHARENAME.
ip address of Windows server is 192.168.1.1
Windows server name is WINSERVER
my uid is 1500
users gid is 200

using the Samba client in Yast, I was able to add maclinux to the windows
domain, DOMAINNAME.

using the Network browsing icon on the desktop would fail as many people have
reported.

smb://192.168.1.1/SHARENAME

did work and did allow me to access the files on SHARENAME.

ThE command smbclient -L WINSERVER

would list all the shares on WINSERVER.

Numerous incantations of smbmount and mount -t smbfs all failed however. i
was receiving error messages that

"SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it"

Googling on SMB signing led me to info that CIFS is included in the 2.6 kernel
and can be used to access Windows shares.

I now use the following command to mount Windows shares

mount -t cifs -o user=LINUXUSER,domain=DOMAINNAME,uid=1500,gid=200,rw
//192.168.1.1/SHARENAME /home/LINUXUSER/mnt/WinServer/SHARENAME

the command is all on one line.

Hope that helps someone.

Mike
--