Re: [SLE] 9.1 Personal and lack of Gnome
  • From: Brooks <brooksfamily@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:31:16 -0500
On Friday 28 May 2004 07:17, Vinay Ramnath wrote:

> Ok, you know from now on, check the package descriptions on the website.
> It says exactly what is included. Whatever is not in the list, is not
> included.

Yep. Lesson learned.

> I don't really think it is a choice for KDE because it would be
> superior. I just think SuSE wanted to keep the price down. It is cheaper
> than the previous personal version, right? To keep the price down, it
> would best fit on one cd-rom (it used to be three cd's, right?). Then,
> on that limited space, you can either put a number of incomplete desktop
> packages or just choose for one and put the complete version on the cd.
> I think that is a good choice.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The extra $10 that they were
charging in 9.0 was still a great deal and absolutely worth it.

> Indeed, it comes with the "live cd", but I think that is nice. If you
> are really enthousiastic, you can borrow it to family and friends to
> check it out.

I think this is something of a waste. If I want family and friends to see,
they can come over and look at my desktop. I'd rather have the extra
software for use on the second cd than what really amounts to a marketing
tool.

> No problem, I can easily obtain Windowmaker from it's
> website, can't you do that with Gnome?

Probably yes, for those who know how to compile packages and install things
without rpms and YaST (or red carpet, or apt). I'm not one of those people:
my skill and technical knowledge is not that high, and so, for me, no I can't
do that with Gnome.