Re: [SLE] open with?
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:50:53 -0800
On Thursday 27 May 2004 16:49, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Friday 28 May 2004 02.42, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > When you snap on a file in the home directory of Konq. (9.1)
> > you are presented with "open with" but these are directories,
> > not programs.
>
> I think you'll find they are menu categories. If you drill down a bit
> you'll find programs to select
>
> > How is one to know what to answer to this
> > query? How is one to know, even if you were to be presented with
> > program names, unless you know that you are trying to open a WP
> > file, or something?
>
> Asking people, perhaps? You will get that dialog in two cases, either when
> KDE doesn't know what the file is already, or when it does know but you
> force its hands with the "open with..." option.

Yes, Doug, What Anders said...

But also, remember that Linux is not entension oriented like
Microsoft systems are. So assume you have a wp file, you might
try to open it with OpenOffic or Kword or Abiword, and you can tell
the open dialog to remember that (checkbox).

After using Linux for several years I STILL have to launch some apps
just to figure out what they are, because of the goofy nameing of
applications.

--
John Andersen

< Previous Next >