Re: [SLE] Desktop Sharing
  • From: "Jerome R. Westrick" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:40:12 +0200
On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 17:34, John N. Alegre wrote:
> On 27-May-04 Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
> > You don't need to ssh into the remote machine. Just use KDE Remote
> > Client with vnc://remote_machine or vncviewer remote_machine. This will
> > present you a remote KDM login screen, then will start KDE and shut it
> > down when you log
> >
> It does not sound like this is what I need.
>
> Here is what I want to do.
>
> ssh -X to a remote SuSEBox.
> su to root
> su to one of 20 users
> launch kmail or evolution for that user and read and send mail from the remote
> machine
>
> I have not yet been able to do this.
> Can anybody help?

If what you want is to:

run Kmail
on a remote machine
for a specified user
with the display on your local machine
which is running X-Windows

That can be done with the following command

ssh -X <user>@<remotemachine> /opt/kde3/bin/kmail

There is no need to su root, su user,
there is no need to mess witht the command line
prompt on the remote machine, and you can store it
as an ICON on your desktop, and start it with a
single click....

Jerry
P.S. what is confusing all of us is that you don't seam to realise
that the -X means "use my local display for all X-Windows programs".
I sugest that you do ssh -X user@remote and then try
/usr/X11R6/bin/xclock, just to see what happens...