Re: [SLE] Which version of Suse for these task ?
  • From: Tibor Endredy <neongod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:37:32 +0200
On Wednesday 26 May 2004 17:24, Jean LEE wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to Suse and relatively new to Linux.
>
> I would like to put Linux on a x386 PC. The task of this station would be :
> - work as a router (sharing an internet connection) for my internal
> LAN, - work as a firewall for my internal LAN,
> - work as a print server, cvs server,... for my internal LAN.
>
> Can I do it with "Suse Linux 9.0" or do I have to buy "Suse Standard
> Server"?
>
> If I buy Suse Standard Server, did I have to pay every year ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jean

If you need the linux for just a router/firewall stb for an internal or home
lan, I think Suse in not for you. Suse is much better for desktop usage or
for corporate servers.

For your task on a small, old 386 pc it's better to choose some small distro.
Sorcerer, Slackware or Debian minimal install, something like that. Because
you don't need all the features that Suse 9.0 or a Suse Std.Server can offer.
It would be a waste of resources, disk space, etc.

regards

Tibor