Re: [SLE] 9.1 and lack of Gnome
  • From: Jos van Kan <vankan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:43:29 +0200
On Wednesday 26 May 2004 00:40, Jake wrote:
> SUSE can't really be blamed for aiming 9.1 personal at newbies.
> They have to try and grow the market.
>
> Seems the messages here from people suprised at not being able to compile
> stuff, not finding Gnome .. etc are understandable too in a way.
>
> I still think we run the best distro.

Well, Suse can't be blamed for aiming their market efforts at newbies, but I
think it was a bad idea to disregard their existing customer base in doing
so. In other words, they shouldn't have called the "newbie" distro "personal"
if the existing customer base expects something totally different OR they
should have made this abundantly clear *on the box itself*. (I know there are
a couple of lines somewhere on the web)
OTOH since they ultimately will provide the whole shebang per ftp, maybe we
shouldn't whine too much. Tip: Professional Update is the same as
Professional, but with a manual less and costs only E 54.99 instead of E 79,-
at amazon.de. (Admittedly twice as expensive as Personal: E 26.99) Contrary
to its name it lets you run a fresh install. How do I know? Don't ask! :-)

Best regards,
--
Jos van Kan

< Previous Next >