Re: [SLE] saved_mail all gone
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 22:57:42 -0400
Here is the listing for /Mail/saved_mail
I don't see anything that could be called index files, or sorted files,
or anything like that. Now what?

doug@linux:~/Mail> ls
drafts inbox outbox saved_mail sent-mail trash
doug@linux:~/Mail> cd saved_mail
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail> ls
cur new tmp
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail> cd cur
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail/cur> ls
1085530773.4314.RbbCw:2,S 1085530963.4314.HlP1i:2,S
1085531676.4314.uRNWV:2,S
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail/cur> cd ..
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail> cd new
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail/new> ls
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail/new> cd..
Error: Try: cd ..
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail/new> cd ..
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail> cd tmp
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail/tmp> ls
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail/tmp> cd ..
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail>
doug@linux:~/Mail/saved_mail>

apparently new and tmp are empty. I guess that cur contains just the
3 files I can still see.

Is there a way to get a directory tree, like in Windows? This seems
like a very clumsy way to look at the directory tree.

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 21:37, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Doug McGarrett <xx@xxxxx> [05-25-04 19:53]:
> > In kmail, you can save mail to a "saved_mail" file, which I created.
> > Or I thought you could. After inputting about 50 or 60 messages, over
> > the past several weeks, all but 3 are gone. (9.1)
>
> cd to the directory Mail/saved_mail and remove *all* the index files,
> .saved_mail.index, .saved_mail.index.ids and .saved_mail.index.sorted.
>
> restart kmail and it will recreate the indexes. If *you* didn't tell
> kmail to ?expire? the mail, it didn't.
>
> > I have _not_ checked anything about expiring messages in the setup.
> > Must I go back to MSWin and use Eudora? I sure wish there was a
> > version of that for Linux!

< Previous Next >