Re: [SLE] SCSI scanners (more)
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:11:42 -0400
Hi Doug -

Back from dinner and walking the dog.

O.K.,SCSI s good. Let's start, as root, by issuing a cd to /bin and then run:
./rescan-scsi-bus.sh

This should bring the scanner to the attention of the system. You should get output something like the following:
Host adapter 0 (advansys) found.
Host adapter 1 (ide-scsi) found.
Scanning for devices 0 0 5 0 . . .
NEW: Host: scsi0 Channel:00 Id:5 Lun:00

If this works as advertised, then, still as root, run:
sgcheck

Using the example above, you should see something akin to:

device host/channel/ID/LUN type Vendor Make
/dev/sg0 0/0/5/0 Scanner Umax Astra 2200

So far so good?

Then, still as root to ensure everyone has access to the scanner, run:

chmod 777 /dev/sg0

Finally, this time as user, check that all can see it by running:

scanimage -L

and you should get a response something like:

device "Umax:/dev/sg)" is a Umax Astra 2200 flatbed scanner.

Let me know if this did the trick.

dave

Doug McGarrett wrote:
I'm running the scanner on SCSI. and I also have 2 SCSI drives
(CDR and DVD) in the machine that work fine. I have SuSE 9.1 PRO. I doubt that there is a problem with the
SCSI card, since the drives work, and the same card drives
the scanner in WinXP. It's a Tekram DC-390, which I know some
people on this list don't like, but I haven't had any other problems
with it, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Adaptec.

--doug