MySQL Startup Problems on 9.0 - Fix for hang and incorrect failure notification
  • From: Marcus Brubaker <marcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:34:36 -0400
I had to make some changes to the /etc/rc.d/mysql file that is
distributed with mysql-4.0.15-9 in order to keep it from hanging on
start and to permit it to suceed.

For whatever reason, the mysqld_safe script was not being properly put
into the background and was thus failing to allow the startup script to
finish. To fix this I changed the lines:

$SAFE_MYSQLD \
... &>/dev/null &

($SAFE_MYSQLD \
... &>/dev/null) &

Further, to allow the mysqladmin ping to succeed I had to specify a user
and doing so I changed:

$MYADMIN ping &>/dev/null && i='' && break

$MYADMIN -u test ping &>/dev/null && i='' && break

I'm not sure if these are the absolutely correct way to fix these issues
(and I'm not really sure what was wrong with the SAFE_MYSQLD line in the
first place) but these fixes worked for me so hopefully this can help
anyone else who is having similar problems.

This may or may not be useful for 9.1, I haven't looked at it yet.

Regards,
Marcus Brubaker

  • No further messages