Re: [SLE] Compiling a Vanilla Kernel
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 13:16:19 +0100
peter Nikolic wrote:

On Sunday 23 May 2004 17:02, Anders Johansson wrote:

On Sunday 23 May 2004 17.50, Bruce Marshall wrote:

2) rm -r linux (removes sym link to current kernel source
but does not erase the main directory)

3) tar xjvf /ftparea/linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (extract the new
kernel source into /usr/src/

4) ln -s linux-2.6.6/ linux (make a new symlink)

No no no. /usr/src/linux should be reserved for the kernel
source/headers used to compile glibc, not for the kernel du
jour (Linus Torvalds).

You can put the kernel sources you're compiling anywhere, I put
them in $HOME/src/

you gotta be joking kernel automatically goes to /usr/src/
linux****** when you unpackit so where do you get this strange
Check with "tar jxfv linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2", you will see that /usr/src/ doesn't figure in it, although I do it in /usr/src, the /usr/src/linux link isn't really necessary, I don't have it and I build every -mm kernel that comes out, most packages you build will either detect where your running kernel sources are, e.g nvidia video driver or ask you to supply it ---
linux-2.6.6/
linux-2.6.6/arch/
linux-2.6.6/arch/i386/
linux-2.6.6/arch/i386/kernel/
linux-2.6.6/arch/i386/kernel/process.c
linux-2.6.6/arch/i386/kernel/vsyscall.S
linux-2.6.6/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/

malformed idea from ?. Duh

5) cd linux

6) make mrproper

Note: Make mrproper should be issued just once, immediately
after you load up the new source files. make mrproper will
do some setup but it WILL ALSO GIVE YOU A DEFAULT .config file.

It does? Where? I can't see one

The .config file is your configuration
file. Since you are going to be making changes to the
.config, you don't want to lose those changes later on after
spending a lot of time configuring your kernel.

7) make xconfig (see notes below)

You can copy your current .config over and make oldconfig, make ?config or whatever, make mrproper is only rarely needed, I haven't needed mrproper in years, make clean is good enough.

7.5) Edit the top-level makefile and set EXTRAVERSION to
something identifiable, to distinguish this build attempt from
others

The above assumes you are running under KDE or some gui
interface. If not, use: make config or make menuconfig for text mode. (there are other ways of setting up a
.config) If you get an error about a display not being
available while running as root in a term console, go back
to being a normal user and issue 'xhost +' and then go back
as root and continue where you left off.

Argh! You know better than that

Use 'sux' or 'kdesu'

i got one thing ot say about that YUK!
so many problems trying that way permissions go T**s up every time

It's a bone simple operation, the README in the kernel sources is good enough, the only point I disagree with is the EXTRA CAUTIOUS "make mrproper", I guess it's there if one is building the kernel without experience and makes sure a newbie doesn't get into a pickle when you upgrade the same kernel directory multiple times and the hardware possibly has changed. Even rebuilding the kernel when moving the HD from one laptop to another with completely different hardware, "make mrproper" wasn't needed. It used to be needed at times with up to 2.2 kernels.
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
Linux Only Shop.

< Previous Next >