Re: [SLE] Compiling a Vanilla Kernel
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:15:22 +0100

[sorry Peter, meant to reply to list]

On Monday 24 May 2004 9:55 am, peter Nikolic wrote:
> On Sunday 23 May 2004 17:02, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 May 2004 17.50, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > > 2) rm -r linux     (removes sym link to current kernel source
> > > but does not erase the main directory)
> > >
> > > 3) tar xjvf  /ftparea/linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2   (extract the new
> > > kernel source into /usr/src/
> > >
> > > 4) ln -s linux-2.6.6/   linux   (make a new symlink)
> >
> > No no no. /usr/src/linux should be reserved for the kernel
> > source/headers used to compile glibc, not for the kernel du
> > jour (Linus Torvalds).
> >
> > You can put the kernel sources you're compiling anywhere, I put
> > them in $HOME/src/
>
> you gotta be joking   kernel automatically goes to /usr/src/
> linux****** when you unpackit so where do you get this strange
> malformed idea from ?. Duh

Having followed the rest of this thread, that might be what happens, but it is
not necessarily right. About 5 minutes before your post arrived, I right
clicked on linux-2.6.2.tar.bz2 in Konqueror, selected "extract to..." and
extracted to ~/home/vince/kernel and compiled.

What's more, I did this under 9.0, I want to try the kernel for running 9.1,
which won't compile it and I don't want to touch my 9.0 setup, where I am
very happy with my 2.4 kernel.

And I get a clean compile, and I know that doing it not as root, I can't touch
anything. Malformed idea? Duh? Anders' link to Linus' email explains. It is
sound.

Vince

< Previous Next >