Re: [SLE] Trying to get VMware 4.5.1 installed on SUSE 9.1
  • From: SRGlasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 20:22:43 -0500
On Sunday 23 May 2004 03:15, Janus Sandsgaard wrote:
> On Sunday 23 May 2004 03:53, SRGlasoe wrote:
> > Running 9.1 Pro, kernel 2.6.4-54.5-default, plus all YOU updates and
> > nothing updated via apt that I know of that would influence VMware 4.5.1.
>
> Is kerner 2.6.4-54.5-default what comes with SuSE 9.1 Pro as standard?
> (ie.: this is a out of the box desciption; you haven't been playing with
> your own kernel or something like that)?

2.6.4-52-default is stock. I got the newer version from YOU update.

> > Ran vmware-config.pl and it compiled and configured just fine.
>
> Sounds promising as as if it works pretty much "out of the box" as I was
> hoping for. What guest OS are you running? Is is everyting working (except
> from USB)?

Win2K, SP4 and almost all Windows Updates applied. As far as I've tested
everything is working fine except USB.

> > VMware came
> > up asking if I really wanted to run with such an advanced kernel and I
> > chose to create a new UUID for my existing Win2K virtual machine.
>
> What is a UUID? I am new to VmWare; still waiting for the box to arrive and
> finding time to install it.

Unique User ID? I believe it is used by VMware to make sure all VMs are unique
so message passing between VMs and the host OS get routed properly.?.?

> > The USB situation has me learning new stuff. Haven't quite figured it out
> > since some USB devices work fine and others don't in Linux. Forget VMware
> > seeing them for now. I will try the
> > http://portal.suse.com/sdb/de/2004/05/hmeyer_91_revert_from_subfs.html
> > suggestions and see what happens in Linux and VMware.
>
> I need USB. Does it work 100% running VmWare 4.5 on SuSE 9.0? Any idea when
> VmWare will release a revision with official support for SuSE 9.1 as host
> OS?

USB did not work 100% for me under SUSE 9.0 and VMware 4.5 or 4.5.1. For me I
believe its a combination of hardware, OS, device driver and VMware.

I consider this an officially supported release since it works.!.! I don't go
back to VMware for support anyway.

Stan

< Previous Next >