Re: [SLE] Why does USB drive mount automagically?
  • From: Tom Corr <tcorr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 21:38:58 -0400
On Sunday 23 May 2004 15:27, Mike wrote:
I'd have to agree... I've already reverted one of my two SuSE boxes back to
SuSE 9.0 for this very reason. i have USB devices that just dont work
reliably under 9.1 any more. I really want all of the kde enhancements that
come with 9.1, but if i cant use my usb devices with it, then what does 9.1
accomplish? I, in particular, use a usb hub. that works fine on the box i
just reverted back to 9.0, but does not work on my 9.1 box. i can get my usb
devices to work on the 9.1 box with only one of them plugged in at a time,
but thats really not how i want to work - it took a lot of fiddling around
and reading on this forum to get to that point. when you consider how
seamlessly this all works under 9.0, you have to figure that SuSE took a
major step backwards with this approach. Perhaps they were in such a rush to
put out 2.6 kernel before Red Hat/Fedora that they just overlooked these
issues.

> > Does anybody know how i get the machine to mount the usb-storage so
> > that ordinary users can write to the card?
>
> Good question. It appears to be in the hotplug script somewhere, but I'm
> not that familiar with scripts or programming to tackle it. Personally
> I don't like the subfs. I much prefer the action in 9.0 where it was
> recognized by hotplug, and the icon appeared on the desktop. I could
> drag files to it for transport. Now I have to find it in the "my
> computer" folder, and now I find out I can't write to it! Just plain
> silly. If there is someone from SUSE on the list that can explain the
> reasoning for this I'd love to hear it. Subfs would be great if there
> was a way to turn it off for those that didn't want it.
>
> just my $.02 worth
>
> Mike
>

> --
> Powered by SuSE 9.1 Kernel 2.6.4 KDE 3.2.1 Kmail 1.6.2
> For SuSE Mondo/Mindi backup support go to
> http://www.mikenjane.net/~mike
> 9:23pm up 1:30, 3 users, load average: 1.05, 1.08, 1.06

< Previous Next >