Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 Success
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:16:03 -0400
To: <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 Success

Donn Washburn wrote:

Jerry Feldman wrote:

The advantage of NTFS is that it is a better file system than FAT32 and
it uses journalling. However, you still have the fragmentation

problems.

The disadvantage to the Linux user is that you have limited access to
the file system in that read-only access works, but read-write access

is

still experimental.

This is disadvantage to a Linux and other NON Winblows OS. However,
lets think of it as a Windows problem and not a Linux one.
So "It is limitation to Microsoft Window NTFS users."

The best way I have heard to beat the problem is by having 3 partitions.
NTFS (bootable), fat32/16 (smaller for data), and Linux (any fs type).
Linux writes to the fat32 and then that flawed NTFS system can import
from there.

If you have to work with XP, one thing you can do, is create a FAT32
partition and move the "My Documents" folder there. This makes it a lot
easier to share files between the two sides.

How can I do so, if I have everything in NTFS?

1) Resize the NTFS partition to make room for Linux & the FAT32 partition

2) Install Linux and also create the FAT32 parition (D:)

3) To place the "My Documents" or other folder on the FAT32 partition, click on the "Start" button and then right click on "My Documents" and select "Properties"

4) On the "Target" tab, enter "D:\" in the "Target" box, to select the FAT32 partition

5) In your Linux home directory, create a symbolic link (mine's called "My Documents") to the FAT32 partition.

If you've got multiple users on the computer, you'll want to create multiple folders on D:, and change the above directions appropriately.

< Previous Next >