Re: [SLE] submountd continuously accessing usb floppy -- or how do floppies work???
  • From: Marshall Heartley <marshall.heartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:05:11 -0400
<snip>

> Perhaps this is my fault: I changed fstab to look like this
> (I added "user"):
>
> /dev/sdb /media/floppy1 subfs
> fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync,user 0 0

You will need to remove the word user here. See the man page for
submount.

> I had to do that or I couldn't use the floppy as a regular user.
> When I clicked on the drive's icon I got an error message saying
> only root could mount it.

Hmmmm..... Submount should mount the media as user. I am not using
anything USB at the moment but it works with other media.

> I think I am misunderstanding how to use floppies with the new
> subfs filesystem. I looked at the index for both the User Guide and
> the Administration Guide and found no entry for either floppy ue
> subfs.

Submount will try and mount the media if it believes that you are
requiring the device. It will scan when you bring up konqueror
because there is a module that allows you to access your media using
konqueror.

I have found that having another instance of konqueror running while
using submount has caused me some issues here. I usually tell KDE
not to preload an instance of konqueror at startup.

> Can anyone explain this to me?

Maybe some of the above will help?

Marshall