submountd continuously accessing usb floppy -- or how do floppies work???
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 08:37:36 -0500

I copied a few files to a usb floppy drive and the drive continued to
make noises and flash it lights. The ps command showed the
following:

/sbin/submountd /dev/sdb /media/floppy1 floppyfss 4000001e uid=1000,gid=100

This was a different PID each time I looked. Removing and
reinserting the floppy stopped the weirdness.

Perhaps this is my fault: I changed fstab to look like this
(I added "user"):

/dev/sdb /media/floppy1 subfs fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync,user 0 0

I had to do that or I couldn't use the floppy as a regular user. When I
clicked on the drive's icon I got an error message saying only root
could mount it.

I think I am misunderstanding how to use floppies with the new
subfs filesystem. I looked at the index for both the User Guide and the
Administration Guide and found no entry for either floppy ue subfs.

Can anyone explain this to me?

--
Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx