Re: [SLE] Trying to get VMWare 4.5.1 installed on SUSE 9.1
  • From: Janus Sandsgaard <lister@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:15:38 +0200
On Sunday 23 May 2004 03:53, SRGlasoe wrote:

> Running 9.1 Pro, kernel 2.6.4-54.5-default, plus all YOU updates and
> nothing updated via apt that I know of that would influence VMware 4.5.1.

Is kerner 2.6.4-54.5-default what comes with SuSE 9.1 Pro as standard? (ie.:
this is a out of the box desciption; you haven't been playing with your own
kernel or something like that)?

> Ran vmware-config.pl and it compiled and configured just fine.

Sounds promising as as if it works pretty much "out of the box" as I was
hoping for. What guest OS are you running? Is is everyting working (except
from USB)?

> VMware came
> up asking if I really wanted to run with such an advanced kernel and I
> chose to create a new UUID for my existing Win2K virtual machine.

What is a UUID? I am new to VmWare; still waiting for the box to arrive and
finding time to install it.

> The USB situation has me learning new stuff. Haven't quite figured it out
> since some USB devices work fine and others don't in Linux. Forget VMware
> seeing them for now. I will try the
> http://portal.suse.com/sdb/de/2004/05/hmeyer_91_revert_from_subfs.html
> suggestions and see what happens in Linux and VMware.

I need USB. Does it work 100% running VmWare 4.5 on SuSE 9.0? Any idea when
VmWare will release a revision with official support for SuSE 9.1 as host OS?

Janus

--
Roskilde University, Denmark.
Department of Technology and Social Science.