Re: [SLE] my second serial port has vanished ;-(
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 23:09:30 -0400
On Saturday 22 May 2004 03:42 pm, Marshall Heartley wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > # cat /proc/interrupts
> > CPU0
> > 0: 32315110 XT-PIC timer
> > 1: 7730 XT-PIC keyboard
> > 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> > 3: 5 XT-PIC NE2000 <------- Is this your NIC
> > card? 5: 2240 XT-PIC bttv
> > 8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
> > 10: 629 XT-PIC Ensoniq AudioPCI
> > 11: 4476 XT-PIC usb-uhci
> > 12: 1316767 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
> > 14: 33833 XT-PIC ide0
> > 15: 5793 XT-PIC ide1
> > NMI: 0
> > LOC: 0
> > ERR: 1
> > MIS: 0
>
> I noticed that a device is already using IRQ3. You will need to
> assign it a new IRQ.
> Looks to be a NIC card.
[...]
> Well the command shows that there is a UART available there. This is
> good. I
> suspect that your NIC has control over IRQ 3 though.
>
> Go into BIOS and see if you can assign another IRQ to the NIC or the
> serial port.
>
> Other options are you can move the NIC card to another slot and see
> if ttyS1 works after
> the move.
>
> Let us know how this goes!
>
> Marshall
***********

I'm curious about one thing. In your BIOS, do you have PNP OS=YES? If
you do, then change that to NO and see if things clear up for you. In
all of the Manuals, it specifies you set this option to NO, so the
hardware will set the IRQs rather then let the OS do it, which usually
causes conflicts. Another reason for taking time to read the great
SuSE manuals included with each package.

Stupid IRQs! 2004 and IRQs are still around and a pure PITA!

Lee
Registered Linux User #225206
On any other day, that might seem strange...

< Previous Next >