Re: [SLE] SMTP and incomming mail -- PROBLEMS??
  • From: Mike Kenzie <kenziem@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 22:51:54 -0400

On Saturday 22 May 2004 21:53, John N. Alegre wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> On 23-May-04 Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Notice that for email (SMTP) to work, the DNS server (the one used by
> > the "senders" side) must have a "MX" entry form your domaain name.
> > Your "hosts" file is not involved.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> This is the case. Right now I have a Red Hat 6.0 box which is accepting
> this and all email with the same machinename.domainname that I am trying
> to get working on the SuSE box. I bring that machine down when I am
> trying to configure the new SuSE box and back up again in a few hours.
> Mail is flowing fine to that system. My IP provider has a "MX" entry
> for
> machinename.domainname with the correct IP. As I said both the SuSE box
> and the working Red Hat 6.0 system are the same in that respect. This
> is why I questioned the former statement that I needed a FQDN in my
> HOSTNAME and /etc/hosts file unless there is something different about
> SuSE.
>
> I am currently thinking this is an entry of the domain name in some
> postfix config file. That is assuming the port is set up correctly (see
> original question in thread). Can anyone help me here?

the mydestination value is set to myhostname
in my case this no longer matches the value in HOSTNAME and think this is
causing rejects.

Adding the extra domains to that field I think will fix your trouble.

postconf -n will show you the current settings

- --
Collector of vintage computers
http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600