Re: [SLE] Confusing Hardware Problem
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:44:22 +0100
On Saturday 22 May 2004 9:26 pm, David Johanson wrote:
> I've just added a third removable SCSI drive to my mail box (this one
> running SuSE 7.1). Prior to adding this drive I had one drive running win
> 98se (which I've discussed prior) and the other SuSE 7.1 The box dual boots
> with LILO running as the boot manager. With just the two drives turned on,
> LILO runs as expected and I can boot into either OS. With the new drive
> turned on (I just did a reformat on it and there is no OS installed, just a
> low level DOS fdisk format) all goes well during boot until LILO starts and
> then elects to stop at LI with the blinking cursor.
>
> I'm totally lost as to how I can boot with this drive on so I can add
> another OS to it. Would someone kindly point me to my obvious error. Since
> it's a SCSI drive, it has to be on at boot up in order to been seen and
> thus used.
>
> Many thanks,

When you say removable, I'm assuming you mean the whole drive is removed or
not from the scsi bus, rather than media being removed from a drive which is
permanently on the bus.

Just a guess, the removable disk has a scsi id between the other 2 drives.
Hence, when it is off bus, you have /dev/{a,b} and when it is on bus you
have /dev/{a,B,c}, where B is the removable drive and old a,b become a,c.
Thus LILO is confused. Maybe?

Vince