Re: [SLE] my second serial port has vanished ;-(
<snip>

> # cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 32315110 XT-PIC timer
> 1: 7730 XT-PIC keyboard
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 3: 5 XT-PIC NE2000 <------- Is this your NIC card?
> 5: 2240 XT-PIC bttv
> 8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
> 10: 629 XT-PIC Ensoniq AudioPCI
> 11: 4476 XT-PIC usb-uhci
> 12: 1316767 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
> 14: 33833 XT-PIC ide0
> 15: 5793 XT-PIC ide1
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 0
> ERR: 1
> MIS: 0

I noticed that a device is already using IRQ3. You will need to assign it a
new IRQ.
Looks to be a NIC card.

> > >setserial -a /dev/ttyS1
> >
> > According to the man file, that will report all information about
> > the ports. You will need to try something like this
> > setserial /dev/ttyS1 port 0x2f8 irq 3
> > Do this as root.
> >

> Output with the -v switch (verbose) . Without this switch no info.
>
> # setserial -v /dev/ttyS1 port 0x2f8 irq 3
> /dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3

Well the command shows that there is a UART available there. This is good.
suspect that your NIC has control over IRQ 3 though.

Go into BIOS and see if you can assign another IRQ to the NIC or the serial
port.

Other options are you can move the NIC card to another slot and see if ttyS1
works after
the move.

Let us know how this goes!

Marshall