Re: [SLE] my second serial port has vanished ;-(
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 02:21:07 +0700
On Saturday 22 May 2004 23:07, Marshall Heartley wrote:
> >Both ports are enabled in BIOS with the standard addresses.
>
> OK
>
> >ioports gave the info that both ports are there at the right
> > address
> >
> >02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
> >03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
> >
> >No conflicts were visible. Interrupts gave no info about the irq's
> >from the serial ports.
>
> What was the output of that file?

# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 32315110 XT-PIC timer
1: 7730 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
3: 5 XT-PIC NE2000
5: 2240 XT-PIC bttv
8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
10: 629 XT-PIC Ensoniq AudioPCI
11: 4476 XT-PIC usb-uhci
12: 1316767 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
14: 33833 XT-PIC ide0
15: 5793 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 0
ERR: 1
MIS: 0

> >setserial -a /dev/ttyS1
>
> According to the man file, that will report all information about
> the ports. You will need to try something like this
> setserial /dev/ttyS1 port 0x2f8 irq 3
> Do this as root.

Output with the -v switch (verbose) . Without this switch no info.

# setserial -v /dev/ttyS1 port 0x2f8 irq 3
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3

> >lsof just ran without giving any info, meaning I think that it did
> > not see a user.
>
> It did not see any programs trying to attached to the device.
> Sounds like a configuration file somewhere is not quite right.
> Others on this list will correct me I'm sure if I am wrong.

Sure ;-)