Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 Success
  • From: Clayton <suselist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 10:38:14 +0200
On Saturday 22 May 2004 10:39, Janus Sandsgaard wrote:
> On Thursday 20 May 2004 22:38, Thom Nuzum wrote:
> > I have a new Seagate 160 GB hard drive.
> > I did a default install and changed nothing.
> > On boot I get grub stage 2 message: something I never had
> > before, but is positive.
> > Windows XP boots and so does Linux
>
> Great to hear a succes story between all these reports about
> problems with SuSE 9.1.
>
> Did you do a NTFS partition resize using YaST during
> installaton? There has been reported problems with it and it
> is holding my back from installing 9.1.

That's a problem if you rely on the list for info about how good
or bad a SUSE release is. No one complains when it works - but
the list is a help list, so the people having problems will be
posting the problems...

I've installed 9.1 on a Centrino laptop, an old Gateway laptop
with a Celeron 500MHz processor, and a couple desktop PCs with
AMD athlons and had zero problems. All machines are set up to
dual boot to various versions of Windows. Each and every time
it's installed smoothly (as a clean install, not an upgrade),
and worked perfectly. It's faster than 9.0 on virtually every
task, and hasn't crashed once on any of the machines. In fact
on the Centrino laptop, it works better than Windows or SUSE9.0.
I get better battery lifetime, and things like the video work
great. OK, I wish the WIFI would work, but that's a driver
issue, not a SUSE9.1 issue.