Nothing can find X server, X server won't run
  • From: Gnatilda <gnatilda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 09:24:13 +0300 (EEST)
Help, help! I upgraded from 8.2 to 9.0 via ftp, and it has been misery. I can't get any GUI going. I end up at a command prompt, like with the minimal install. Entering the command "kde" gets me
xsetroot: unable to open display ""
xset: unable to open display ""
ksplash: cannot connect to X server
kdeinit: Aborting. $Display is not yet set

The command xhost gets me:
xhost: unable to open display ""

The command sux gets me:
sux: Missing DISPLAY variable

I can run sax2; it does no good -- nothing in there that is relevant.

I can start up the X server with the command X. It does not help. Running it in the background X & clear does not help.

I have also tried reinstalling the X server. That did not help. And it is not something I can do again and again --

I have spent about six hours going though every Google search I could think of, looking for an answer as to what is missing or not set correctly. Nothing. I don't know whether to set fire to my PC, or cry, or both. Please, please help.

ITV - Sinu lemmiksaated internetis!
http://www.itv.ee

  • No further messages