SMTP and incomming mail -- PROBLEMS??
  • From: "John N. Alegre" <listhub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:19:47 -0500 (CDT)
I have some questions about mail configuration.

I have a new SuSE 9.1 Pro system. There is yet no firewall setup. I choose to
set up the mail routing before I configure the firewall. Because I am new to
SuSE I choose to set up mail routing and then set up the firewall after that
is working. The machine is only on the internet when I am working on the
configuration.

Background ...

The internet is configured. DNS is configured. All browsers and network
services appear to be working. telnet, ftp, etc., etc. all work fine The
machine has 20 user accounts.

What works ...

Sending mail from user account to user account.
Sending mail out from the machine to any valid email account.

Problems ...

I can not get mail into the machine, or, if it does come in it is rejected. I
do not know which. I know postfix is working as I can do ...

libros:~ # telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 libros.andante.mn.org ESMTP Postfix

Can someone point me to the correct issue? I am not wishing for a complete
answer just a pointer to the correct documentation. Certainly if someone has
the complete answer I would be very grateful:-) Is this all a postfix
configuration issue? The final configuration I wish to achieve is that mail
coming in for someuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx OR someuser@mydomain will be delivered
to someuser on the SuSE 9.1 system while mail for
someuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx will be sent to one of the other computers on
the LAN for delivery on that machine. If this is entirely in the realm of
postfix configuration I can work with it as I have a good set of postfix docs.
I am more concerned about missing something with respect to having the SMTP port
open or not configured correctly to receive incoming mail.

Thanks you all very much for reading this.

Peace
john
John N. Alegre o
Andante Systems o