SUSE 9.1 hostname and domain
  • From: John Coldrick <jc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 20 May 2004 15:25:24 -0400

I'm having trouble getting a licensed product on a SUSE system
contacting the license server(which happens to be running on Redhat
7.3). We've elminated blocked ports, etc. One thing that has been
determined is that typically, if you enter:

hostname

on the client machine(in this case, the SUSE system), you should get a
response in the form of:

foo.domain.com

however, as I'm sure you know, SUSE defaults to the short name -
"foo". YaSt refuses to let me enter a name for the system that contains
a "." - it insists on maintaining the hostname and the domain separately
- but we suspect the problem is that some sort of internal call, the
equiv of "hostname", is returning the domain-less host. The app needs
the full name.

Any thoughts as to what I could fiddle with to get this working? I'm
trying to figure out exactly where the basic assignments get done - I
suspect this is in /sbin/conf.d/Suse.many scripts...but I'm sort of lost
in the dark right now...

Cheers,

J.C.

--
John Coldrick www.axyzfx.com Axyz Animation
Houdini/Renderman/Discreet 425 Adelaide St W