Re: [SLE] Philips monitor 180B2
  • From: Alex Angerhofer <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:12:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 20 May 2004, SuSE User wrote:

> are you able to see the boot stuff after grub times out? If not, maybe you
> just need to lower the console resolution (though I'm not sure about
> refresh rates) by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and changing the "vga=" part
> of the kernel line for linux.

Thank you for your help. Of course I had tried to put vga=normal on the
options line before but didn't realize that this wouldn't work because of
the showopts option that was present in my /boot/grub/menu.lst file. I
found the relevant info here:
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/12/wessels_blackinst.html which
suggested to take showopts out to be able to manipulate the vga settings.

> http://www.jeepster.org.uk/bits/grub.html has a chart showing the
> values. try 640 and work your way up if it works?

vga=0x318 actually works fine, so it looks like the monitor wants to start
with a little lower resolution than it is rated.

Best regards, Alex.